Get your each day, bite-sized digest of cryptoasset and blockchain-related information – investigating the tales flying below the radar of at this time’s crypto information.
- Blockchain firm Polygon Labs and main Korean cell service SK Telecom signed a strategic collaboration settlement to construct SKT’s Web3 ecosystem. Per the press launch, SKT will add assist for the Polygon blockchain to its NFT market TopPort and can work along with Polygon Labs to find promising Web3 startups and assist incubation. SKT’s Web3 pockets, which is scheduled to be launched within the second half of 2023, may even assist the Polygon community and introduce NFT buying and selling.
- Fee firm Trustly introduced its partnership with Coinbase to supply Canadians account-to-account funds. “With Trustly’s Open Banking Funds, Coinbase customers can deposit and withdraw funds immediately from their checking account from/to their crypto pockets,” mentioned the press launch. Direct financial institution transfers over Digital Fund Switch (EFT) can be enabled later this yr, permitting customers to profit from deposits, withdrawals, and high-value deposit limits, it added.
- Singaporean police arrested ten international nationals on suspicion of cash laundering, seizing cryptocurrencies, along with about $700 million in fiat and a large number of numerous luxurious objects and autos. On 15 August, greater than 400 officers from the Business Affairs Division, the Legal Investigation Division, Particular Operations Command, and the Police Intelligence Division performed simultaneous raids at a number of areas island-wide. The arrested people are suspected of being concerned in laundering the proceeds of crime from their abroad organized crime actions, together with scams and on-line playing, the Singapore police pressure mentioned. Twelve different individuals are aiding with investigations, and eight different individuals are at the moment wished by the police.
- Public sale home Sotheby’s replied to being named in an modification to the class-action lawsuit filed by Bored Ape Yacht Membership (BAYC) traders towards BAYC creators Yuga Labs, alleging that it helped Yuga Labs misleadingly promote a 2021 nonfungible token (NFT) assortment. The public sale home advised CNN that “the allegations within the go well with are baseless, and Sotheby’s is ready to vigorously defend itself.”
- North Korean hackers stole no less than $180 million within the first six months of 2023, in line with South Korea’s Nationwide Intelligence Service (NIS). The manager secretary of the parliamentary intelligence committee, Rep. Yoo Sang-beom, mentioned throughout a press briefing that “North Korea has illegally stolen greater than $1.5 billion of digital property since 2015, and the NIS estimated that it was concerned in hacking incidents price greater than $180 million within the first half of this yr alone,” Asia Right now reported.
- The Philippine Nationwide Police Anti-Cybercrime Group (PNP ACG) warned gamers that”regardless of its benefits,” crypto gaming has drawbacks. These embody entry boundaries that have an effect on some video games greater than others (corresponding to Axie Infinity requiring gamers to purchase three Axies earlier than taking part in), in addition to the dangers of shedding tokens and NFTs, shedding cash by means of volatility, hacks, scams, and malicious assaults. “Cybercriminals at the moment are utilizing faux rewards in so-called “play-to-earn” cell and on-line video games to steal thousands and thousands price of cryptocurrency,” it mentioned and added that “simply because a recreation’s underlying blockchain is safe doesn’t imply its engine or market is safe. Digital wallets that retailer crypto gaming tokens can be hacked or mishandled.”
- Crypto trade BingX introduced the renewal of its partnership with blockchain safety agency CertiK. CertiK will proceed to offer BingX with the Safety Rating API, enabling the platform to entry safety scores generated by CertiK. In return, BingX will combine the Safety Rating API into its merchandise, making certain that customers can entry and examine the safety scores of listed tasks, mentioned the press launch.
- ChatGPT developer OpenAI introduced that it acquired AI design studio International Illumination, saying that “your entire workforce has joined OpenAI.” They are going to work on core tasks, together with ChatGPT, it mentioned. International Illumination is an organization that has been leveraging AI to construct inventive instruments, infrastructure, and digital experiences, mentioned the brief announcement. It added that the workforce beforehand designed and constructed merchandise at Instagram and Fb and made “important contributions” at YouTube, Google, Pixar, Riot Video games, and different corporations. “We’re very excited for the influence they’re going to have right here at OpenAI,” the publish acknowledged.